Sunday, July 22, 2007

Why I should do blog entries as soon as I have the experience (i.e.: Week Three - Sunday)

I completely forgot to write about my experience in Adams-Morgan! The Sunday after The Planner's bachelorette party, I decided to go exploring boutiques. Specifically, I was interested in finding clothing that fit me (for more on this topic, see the entry on Lingerie Success).

Most people know Adams-Morgan as an area with a plethora of restaurants, bars and clubs (oh, and Amsterdam Falafel and the Big Slice). If you go during the day, however, you'll discover an entirely different Adams-Morgan-- one with vintage furniture and clothing shops and trendy boutiques (and Amsterdam Falafel and the Big Slice).

So--eureka--I went to Adams-Morgan during the day (there's actually PARKING!), and wandered up and down 18th St. NW, and then up and down Columbia St. NW. Found a few restaurants I'd heard about (but didn't know where they were), wandered in and out of antique shops, boutiques, and vintage clothing stores, was accosted by a saleswoman in a vintage clothing store who I suspect hadn't seen another human being in weeks, and discovered, much to my delight, Shake Your Booty.

Shake Your Booty is a trendy women's clothing and shoe store tucked into a small building between a hipster furniture store and an Ethiopian clothing boutique. The walls are painted PINK, and everything in the store has a price tag that puts it in the $30 - $60 range--perfect for someone who wants quality clothing, but doesn't want to sell their firstborn to get it. The sales staff is young, friendly, and extremely helpful - one girl took a dress off a mannequin for me to try on because she thought it would look good on me (it did, but it was one of those dresses you see on Nicole Ritchie - totally NSFW). It was here that I discovered shoes that I adored that I didn't see on everyone else. It was also at this store that I discovered a bias-cut black and white jersey dress that fit me like it was made for me (moreso than the usual bias cut jersey dress). It is gorgeous, and if I put a black camisole underneath it, I actually can wear it to work. Special bonus - unlike the ubiquitous Ann Taylor skirts, I have yet to see anyone else wearing this dress. And it was on sale - originally $60, now $40. $40 for work appropriate dress - that's well within my clothing budget for the month. I say "yes" to that.

And that was my victory in Adams-Morgan.

If you go:

Shake Your Booty
2439 18th St. NW
Washington, DC 20009

No comments: