Saturday, July 7, 2007

Week Two: Saturday's Lingerie Wild Goose Chase Through Old Town Alexandria

This morning, faced with the prospect of needing to get something for The Planner for bachelorette party, I set off to Old Town Alexandria in search of a particular lingerie shop. Unfortunately, the lingerie shop is no longer there (dammit), and I couldn't find anything I could use to cobble together a gift. I feel extra bad about this because I missed both bridal showers, I haven't yet gotten The Planner her wedding present - and her wedding is next week! This means an extra super-good wedding present when I go to Macy's tomorrow.

Yes, I have to go to Macy's tomorrow. Urgh.

Only for The Planner would I do this. Note: I also uttered this statement when presented with a green bridesmaid dress (she pushes my envelope, that Planner).

It's not that I've been formally boycotting department stores (ok...well...maybe a little), it's that department stores are so much less interesting than a lot of the independent stores we have here in the DC area.

That's why even though I didn't end up finding anything suitable as a gift, I enjoyed my nice little tour of King Street.

King Street is one of those areas with a TON of independently-owned stores, interspersed with places like Restoration Hardware and Books -a - Million. It's fun, and it's one of those places where the people who work there could very well be the people who own the shop, as evidenced by the signs they put on the door when the go to lunch. (See photo, left).



First up, the Alexandria Transit (or DASH) runs a bus called the Dash-About (and if you are from any state that borders Canada, you will SO want to call it the "Dash-Aboot"!!). It goes from the King Street Metro to the Alexandria Waterfront and it is FREE, so take note.

That said, I drove and found plenty of parking on one of the side streets. Note: unless it is 8AM, you do NOT want to park on King Street itself. Walk there, yes. Park there, no.

I had looked up the lingerie shop on the internet, and the website told me it was on the corner of Henry St. and King St., but it looks like it's been closed for awhile--I couldn't even find it. I even went to the Visitors Center on King St., and furtively looked up the website, and it's true-- it's gone. So my trip to Old Town looked like a bust, right?

Well maybe not-- I still went to Ten Thousand Villages and bought a cute basket that has become my "Splenda Dish" next to my coffeemaker, I stopped by Kingsbury Chocolates, two doggie bakeries (did you know you can buy "beer for dogs"??? Now I've seen everything), and an art store that was pretty much useless except for the chalkboard sign out front, which has become my mantra. Not too shabby. :)

If you go:

DASH - Alexandria Transit

Ten Thousand Villages
915 King St.
Alexandria, VA 22314

Kingsbury Chocolates
1017 King St.
Alexandria, VA 22314

1022 Toys 'N' Gifts

1022 King St.
Alexandria, VA 22314

Fetch Dog & Cat Bakery - Boutique
101A South St. Asaph St.
Alexandria, VA 22314

No comments: