Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Week Three: Lingerie Success!

Let me be very honest here...my reason for finding an upscale lingerie shop was not just to get underwear for The Planner in honor of her upcoming wedding. No, it was more selfish than that--I desperately needed to be fitted for a bra.

Every since I began training for longer-distance races - 10Ks and longer--I've been putting in anywhere from 9 - 16 miles per week, on average. Consequently, I have shrunk - I've gone from a size 4 two years go to a size 0 now. And as far as bra size? Well, until last Monday I could only guess.

I don't mind being smaller so long as I remain healthy, but the change in size has made shopping for clothing...inconvenient at best and impossible at worst. There are now large segments of the women's clothing retail industry that have absolutely nothing for me, and with bras, the situation is dire. The ubiquitous Victoria's Secret has decided that I do not exist, and I now must either go to an independent shop or purchase my bras online (department stores supposedly have my size, but I've yet to see it). Because of the trial and error involved in finding bras, I decided to try find an independent shop. Of course, the one nearest me is no longer in business, and the one I sent Marathoner to is all the way out in Fairfax, so I decided to see if there was one closer to work -- and there was. This is how I discovered Coup de Foudre last Monday.

Coup de Foudre is a specialty lingerie store that has the same ambiance (pink carpeting, feminine wallpaper, classical music) that Victoria's Secret had before it decided to go all modern. Much, much more relaxing than Victoria's Secret - especially as there is a greater chance I'll find something that fits!

I got to the store shortly after work on Monday, and after adding my info to the guest book, I asked if I needed an appointment to be measured that day. The very French sales lady said she would be happy to measure me, led me to the dressing room, and got out her tape. I quickly learned that I was at least a band size and a cup size smaller than when I had been last measured, and that the bra I was wearing (one of my own) was most definitely the wrong size. And then the fun part began.

The door to my dressing room was soon covered in bras of every type and color: demi, full cup, balconet, silk, lace, brown, white, blue. There was even a swimsuit in the bunch that fit well, but gave me scary cleavage. I tried on everything--at least 15 bras, possibly more-- and every time I tried on a new bra, the French sales lady came in, adjusted it, inspected the fit, and told me what to look for. For all my bravado, I tend to be a very private person, so having that much scrutiny directed at my chest by a complete stranger was a little unnerving. The sales lady was very professional, however, so the discomfort was short. Through the trial and error in the dressing room, I discovered what kinds of bras worked well for me, and soon gained the ability to spot a dud the moment I put it on.

In the end, I spent an ungodly amount of money on two bras that fit like they were made for me. Oh yes, and I picked up a gift for The Planner, which was not nearly so ungodly expensive (but still very very cute!). With that, I left Coup de Foudre and headed over to Macy's to purchase The Planner's silverware from her wedding registry. A Macy's is a Macy's is a Macy's, so I'll save us all some time and say that my experience there was typical (not bad, not great).

If you go:
Coup de Foudre
1001 Pennsylvania Ave., NW (*actually at the corner of 11th and E St. NW)
Washington, DC 20004

Macy's (if you must)
1201 G. St., NW
Washington, DC 20005

No comments: