Friday, July 6, 2007

Week Two: The Glorious Fourth!

Wednesday, I resolved to do nothing useful or productive until 5:00PM EST, and it was everything I ever thought it would be. Truly a glorious Fourth of July. After my workout, I stopped by McDonald's and got a Bacon, Egg & Cheese sandwich with one of their crispy hash brown cakes. Heaven. I consider my workout to have been neither useful nor productive purely due to the McDonald's stop. Then I spent the rest of the day reading, napping, surfing the internet, and watching movies. It was fantastic, and totally what I needed.

THEN, at 4:30PM I started getting ready for Bargain's party (which was to start at 5PM). I'd invited Red, and since the party was really just a neat place to watch the fireworks, we figured we wouldn't need to get there until at least 6PM. It ended up working perfectly - we got there around 6:30, got some food, got some chairs by the window (which was conveniently next to the air conditioner unit), and camped out until the fireworks started at 9:10PM.

The fireworks, by the way, were amazing. Bargain lives in Pentagon City, in a corner apartment on one of the upper floors of a high rise overlooking the Pentagon and National Mall area. Sadly, I forgot my camera but here's a good pic of what they saw last year. It's pretty much the same - fireworks don't really change all that much.

Red was an absolute doll and not only drove us to the party, but brought a six pack of Sam Adams (especially great because yours truly did not do anything productive that morning, including going to the store for something to bring--whoops.--shoulda thought of that).

After the fireworks were over, Red and I walked with Marathon and Mr. Marathon back to our respective cars for the drive home. After taking a look at the traffic, though, we decided to stop and get a drink (and some fries) at Sine, an Irish Pub in Pentagon Row. By that time, the rain that had plagued us earlier had stopped, the temperature had dropped to a nice level with a cooling breeze added in for good measure, sitting outside was a pleasure.

All in all, it was a great Fourth.

If You Go:

Sine Irish Pub
1301 S. Joyce St.
Arlington, VA

No comments: