Saturday, July 28, 2007

Week Five: Cheese, Glorious Cheese!

Since I didn't have any plans for Monday after work, I decided it might be a nice day to return the library books I checked out a year ago when I actually lived in the District. They were, uh, a little overdue. By about a year.

*cough*

After that, I just wasn't ready to go home yet, and began wandering around F. St., right there between Metro Center and Gallery Place. I window shopped at H & M, peeked in at McCormick and Schmick's (but decided not to partake of their most excellent happy hour menu). Oh, and I discovered that I am considered a size Large at American Apparel. WTF?!? I'm a 0 at Ann Taylor! Boo! I shake my fist at you, American Apparel! *shakes fist!*

*stepping off soapbox*

I continued my wander down F St. NW, and discovered it: the Cowgirl Creamery Cheese shop. I went in. It smelled like cheese. How glorious.

The front part of the store is dedicated to cheese-y accouterments: artisan breads, "Cowgirl Creamery" cheese spreaders, and cheese grab-bags made up of the brand's most popular cheeses. Oh, and also jars of gourmet jam, crackers and chocolate. I carry a secret torch for good jam.

The back room is where the real goods are. A couple refrigerated self-serve cases offer pre-packaged feta, soft goat cheese, pecorino romano and ricotta., among other things. The real draw, though, is the gorgeous display of every kind of cheese I have never heard of (remember, I'm a foodie in training. I'm not there yet). Well, I've heard of manchego. To be honest, though, I was awfully wrapped up in the different kinds of butters available in the refrigerated case. I had no idea that there is such a thing called "cultured" butter, and that it is different from "regular" butter. Apparently, according to the educated staff, cultured butter has a tangier taste than regular butter. I will have to try that sometime.

I was a little too intimidated to get help from the staffed counter with the beautiful block-and-wheel-of-cheese displays, so I hemmed and hawed at the refrigerator case, finally choosing a small wedge of Pecorino Romano, a package of Camembert, and a Cowgirl Creamery cheese spreader for good measure. I also succumbed to the siren song of some blackberry preserves, which came in an octagonal jar with a little computer-printed label . These preserves are made of three ingredients: organic blackberries, pectin and sugar. I'm am giddy.

Sadly, Cowgirl Creamery was sold out of baguettes for the day, and Best Buns Bakery was closed by the time my Metro Bus meandered past it, so no baguette for me yet to go with the Camembert, but my goods are in the fridge waiting for me.

And I'm already planning my next trip to test out this new realm of cheese.


If you go:

Cowgirl Creamery
919 F St. NW
Washington, DC 20004

No comments: