Sunday, July 29, 2007

Week Five: Cafe Salsa

After volunteering for my Delegate to the Virginia State House on Tuesday, I was pretty much a loser for the rest of the week--I stayed in Wednesday and Thursday and did nothing but update my blog (not that that's bad) and watch the first season of The West Wing on DVD (ok, that's pretty sad).

Friday was a different story, however. My friend Red declared that he wanted to see Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix on Friday, and as I had told him I'd see it again because I liked it, he invited me along.

And I'm glad I went - it gave me a chance to spend another two hours ogling Gary Oldman, Daniel Radcliffe, Alan Rickman and Jason Isaacs. Red was enthused to find out that Helena Bonham-Carter was in this Harry Potter, and I was reminded yet again of how much of a British character actor nerd I am (I think only Marathoner truly understands).

After the movie, we decided to head into Old Town for dinner and found ourselves on King St. in a restaurant called Cafe Salsa. The upstairs of Cafe Salsa is more of a dance club, where they offer Salsa lessons every Tuesday, and Salsa nights with a DJ every Friday and Saturday. In fact, by the time we got there at 9:30PM, we could hear it just getting started.

The service at Cafe Salsa is friendly, attentive and knowledgeable. When I asked about the ceviches available, the waiter was able to recite the ingredients in each one. The complimentary "bread basket" is really a basket of four crackers supporting a pile of crisp fried plantain chips, with accompanying smoky red salsa and green olive tapenade. Both were excellent and, to my surprise and delight, not spicy at all.

On a whim, Red and I ordered the Empanadas Islenas--crisp-fried buttery mashed potato shells stuffed with shredded cuban beef or marinated chicken. I was in love from the very first bite. If you know me, you'll eventually hear me discuss how mashed potatoes and stewed meat were a cherished mainstay of my Mid-Western childhood. And fried mashed potatoes? With meat stewed in a tomato-based sauce in the middle? Oh my goodness. These empanadas approached nirvana for me. I think next time I go, I'll just order that as my main dish and call it a day. I really couldn't believe how very good they were!

Next up was my entree of Chuletas Borrachas, which turned out to be marinated grilled pork chops drenched in a rum-tamarind sauce, served with rice and lima beans. It was all right. I found the pork chops dry and the rum-tamarind sauce too sweet. The lima-rice combo was good, even though it had sliced cooked red bell peppers tainting it (ok, ok. I don't like cooked bell peppers - but at least I gave it a shot, right?). I still packed up the leftovers for Saturday's lunch, but to be honest it was only in the interest of making another meal out of it. Now if you get me some of those empanadas, however, I'll follow you anywhere. Those are worth the trip just by themselves.

If you go:

Cafe Salsa
808 King St.
Alexandria, VA 22314

No comments: